Re: [rdiff-backup-users] exit status

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] exit status
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 07:50:43 +1100

Jacques Botha wrote:
Hi all

I am looking for a list of exit status codes for rdiff-backup

i.e: I do not want to alert when a non-critical error occurred. Say a
file changed while backing up, rdiff-backup make an alert, but
ultimately the backup was successful, I don't want to alert.
If the backup fails because the remote machine ran out of disk space, or
if it could not connect to remote machine in the first place, or
something critical that prevents the backup from completing, I want to
alert.

The 0 or 1 exit status as described in the man page does not quite cater
for this.

The rdiff-backup nagios plugin does some of the checking you might want. You don't need nagios to make it useful - it runs fine from the command line and provides exit statuses in line with the nagios plugin specification. IE, 0 for successful, 1 for warning, 2 for critical and 3 for unknown. It checks the repository itself, so you would run it on the destination machine out of cron or something. Of course setting up nagios is not that difficult and probably has other benefits (ie it could monitor disk space at the very least).
If it doesn't do exactly what you are after, patches are warmly accepted :)

Nagios plugin here:
http://tinyurl.com/b2877

thanks

dave