Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Maybe a better way to ask the previous question

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Maybe a better way to ask the previous question...
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 21:23:48 -0600

> It occurred to me that perhaps there is a better way
> to ask my question about reorganizing directory
> structures:
>
> Does rdiff-backup support moving a source file or
> directory?

Here is a better way perhaps of answering your question.  Consider

1) rdiff-backup source dest
2) mv source source2
3) rdiff-backup source2 dest

Step 3 will be fast and not take much disk space.  On the other hand

1) rdiff-backup source dest
2) mv source/dir1 source/dir2
3) rdiff-backup source dest

If source/dir2 is big, step 3 here will take a long time and a lot of
disk space.