[rdiff-backup-users] case sensitivity

From: Charlie Strauss
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] case sensitivity
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:03:02 -0700

When I backup from one macintosh HFS formatted machine to another HFS formatted machine the file names come with whacked names:

for example:

BBEdit.app

gets backed up with the name:

;066;066;069dit.app

Obviously it has something to do with case sensitivity. But this makes things pretty much unreadable. What causes this and how do I eliminate it?

I suspect the issue might be that there are two flavors of HFS one can use. One is Case-Preserving Case-Insensitve HFS (the macintosh default) and the other is Case-Sensitive HFS (like ext3 or most linux fs).

For those that don't know the difference is this. In case- insensitive HFS the file ReadMe and readme and README are the same file, buts it's name is preserved in the smae case as it was first created (and not reduced to say all uppercase or lower case). The upshot is the README and readme cannot coexist in the same file. So untarring or copying from a linux system that has two files that differ only in case will cause one to be deleted. If you use case- sensitive then it's just like most linux fs.

However, it seems like rdiff-backup could simply try to preserve the case when it can since normally this is not an issue and it's the rare exception where one has two files differing only by case. Indeed no such exception can exist if one is copying FROM a Case- insensitve disk to a case-sensitive one.

So is this why this is happening and is there a setting that can fix this. virutally all my liberal filenames are unreadable as it stands. Is there a "no-mangle" flag?