Re: [rdiff-backup-users] The rdiff-backup poll!

From: Blair Zajac
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] The rdiff-backup poll!
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:37:32 -0800

Ben Escoto wrote:
How do you think rdiff-backup should be improved?  Help me prioritize
rdiff-backup development by taking the rdiff-backup poll!  See:

        http://www.misterpoll.com/3662297208.html

For current feature suggestions see:

        http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?group=rdiff-backup
        http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/?SuggestedFeatures

And of course more in-depth responses to the mailing list are very
welcome.

Oh, and please answer relative to the development branch (1.1.x).  If
you are using the stable branch, the development versions basically
adds longname support, some Mac-specific fixes, SHA1 hashs, some more
compare options, and cleaner error messages.  (It's also slower.)

Thanks!  I just voted.

The one feature I think would be handy would be reporting of what was added or deleted that caused a huge backup. My normal nightly backups are around 20 Mbytes, but last night I got one that was 220 Mbytes and I'd like to figure out what changed that caused this. Some report by directory, say like a du output, of changed file size would be nice. Directories with no changed wouldn't be printed.

Out of this list

http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/?SuggestedFeatures

I would vote for the following features in descending order of importance:

* RemoveSpecifiedFiles - --remove Removes specified files from rdiff-backup
archive
* DeleteIntermediate - Remove intermediate backups, retaining older ones
* RemoveOlderThanAllowsSubdirectories - argument to --remove-older-than can specify a subdirectory
* UpdateErrorRetry - Retry to copy files with update error later
* BackupFromRsyncd - Allow rdiff-backup to get snapshot from an rsyncd daemon
* SparseFiles - handle sparse files well

Nice to have, but not necessary:
* DetectMoves - Detect file moves
* Psyco - use the Psyco JIT compiler to speed things up
  I run these jobs at night.

In the "How buggy do you find rdiff-backup?", you might want to add a level between "Very buggy" and "Found a few, but nothing serious". I'd hate to call rdiff-backup very buggy, otherwise I wouldn't use it and I love this program. On the other hand, I did run into that KeyError bug in 1.1.3 which prevented a backup from working and the Mac OS X issues, so it hasn't been un-serious. I didn't vote for that section.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.