Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Long path problem

From: Yoav
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Long path problem
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 03:31:43 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Ben Escoto wrote:

I think most people will be fine until their paths reach about 3950
chars.  So I was mainly wondering if it's ok to skip paths longer than
that, or if someone actually has data they want to save in files whose
paths are 5kB long.

If I may barge in, I think it actually does happen legitimately, when a file-level crypto filesystem is being backed up (not the plaintext inside but the encrypted tree). For example EncFS pads filenames/dirnames to make it harder to guess the original filename. It is not uncommon to end up with very long pathnames in this mode (which is the default).

True, shortly after the 3950 limit is reached, EncFS will itself fail due to inability to write the encrypted files. However, some pathnames may fall in between so they will be written correctly by EncFS but not backed up by rdiff-backup.

        Yoav