Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Long path problem

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Long path problem
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:23:01 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Ben,

The path got to nearly 8000 characters long, and although cd was giving
warnings about "getcwd: path name too long", it was still going when I
killed it.

May I ask why you did this?

For kicks? :-) I wanted to see if I could make my kernel panic? And to see if rdiff-backup really did have a problem with long path names?

Is it ok if rdiff-backup just skipped over a lot of those directories? (As long as it didn't crash of course.) Or do you need that structure correctly mirrored?

I don't need it mirrored as such, it was a kind of stress test for rdiff-backup. But I think it shows that rdiff-backup may have problems backing up some legitimate directory structures, and that the long path problem is not just theoretical.

Cheers, Chris.
--