Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Fink rdiff-backup 1.1.0 problems

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Fink rdiff-backup 1.1.0 problems
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 00:25:28 -0600

> 3. The info that spews out at the start of the backup indicates that
> carbonfile support defaults to OFF.  I believe the default should be
> ON (once carbonfile support is working), just in case that info is
> important to someone.  If the fact that this is ON causes an error,
> and carbonfile support is not important to someone, then they can
> manually turn it OFF.

Yes I agree, the default off is just a temporary thing until we can
get it working.  I looked up and emailed the original author so maybe
he can tell me what the right thing to do here is, or point me to some
documentation.

> 4. The backup attempt eventually failed with a ___File name too
> long___ error.
> OSError: [Errno 63] File name too long: '/Volumes/Ext_BU/Users/kwh/

Assuming you were updating a backup started earlier, this is a good
sign, since for backwards compatibility it needs to keep quoting if
quoting was enabled before.  However, filename too long errors should
be recoverable, and not crash rdiff-backup.  Perhaps you could start
the python interpreter and type this in:

>>> import errno
>>> errno.ENAMETOOLONG
36
>>> errno.errorcode[63]
'ENOSR'

(example values are what my system says---yours must be different if
it is crashing rdiff-backup).