Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error handling

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error handling
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:59:14 -0500

> I don't know the answer, but I will say that the current error
> handling is rdiff-backup's biggest shortcoming in my opinion.  Anytime
> I recommend rdiff-backup, I always warn the potential new user that if
> they are not comfortable seeing stack dumps, they will get very
> nervious if rdiff-backup ever has a hiccup on their system.

I agree that people should rarely if ever see a traceback.  But when
would a new user see a traceback?  Personally, I haven't had a stable
version of rdiff-backup crash on me in over a year (except user abort
and failend connection).  Of course I'm a biased sample - if it
doesn't on my machine I wouldn't call it a stable version :)

But anyway tracebacks are supposed to be rare, and not caused by user
error.  So when one happens it may be a bug in rdiff-backup, or at
least a failure of some part of the system.  If there is a bug in
rdiff-backup, I like having a lot of technical information spew out,
because it makes my job easier.

So what kind of tracebacks are people seeing regularly?  If I can
reproduce it on my system it should be easy to fix.