Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How to speed up rdiff-backup

From: Carsten Lorenz
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How to speed up rdiff-backup
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:44:59 +0200

Ben Escoto wrote:
"Carsten Lorenz" <address@hidden>
wrote the following on Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:03:37 +0200

I started the first backup to an empty directory on a second server.

Everything looks fine:
CPU-usage on the source-server is ca.15% for ssh and ca. 6% for rdiff-backup
CPU-usage on the destination is ca. 18% for sshd and ca. 12% for rdiff-backup
No swap-space is used.

rdiff-backup needs 132s to transfer a 140MB file (1.1MB/s).  While
rdiff-backup works on the next file scp transfers the same file in
15s (9.3MB/s)!

Hmm, when other people complained about slow rdiff-backups I thought
the problem was CPU usage but obviously this isn't the problem in your
case.

Try editing your Globals.py file and increasing blocksize and
conn_blocksize by a lot.  For instance, try:

blocksize = 524288
conn_bufsize = 1572864

I'd be curious to see if this makes much of a difference.

i will try that when i start the backup in the opposite direction. ETA for actual run is Thursday.

Carsten