Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: bootability of the mirror

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: bootability of the mirror
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:30:20 -0500

> i think all i would need is a grub floppy and a new option --ignore.
>
> imho it should be possible to neither include nor exclude a pathname.
> > > i tried to mirror to the mount point of a partition, but rdiff-backup
> > > balks at the lost+found file there.  if i use --force, then the
> > > original's lost+found gets put there.  if i exclude lost+found, then
> > > it disappears.
> > >
> > > so it is not easy to mirror to a partition, which i wanted to do for
> > > easy bootability.
> >
> > Hi,
> > I think you want rsync - rdiff-backup doesn't work the way you want I
> > don't think. Its notion of destination is a descreet repository
> > (directory) over which is has full control. Booting a machine off an
> > rdiff-backup respository would be asking for trouble. Rsync doesn't look
> > after the destination nearly as well.

Hi, Dave is right, in theory rdiff-backup doesn't like other things
writing to the destination directory.  However, if you just keep
--exclude'ing the lost+found directory, I think that should work.  In
practice rdiff-backup will just read the mirror_metadata file, and
won't notice if the lost+found directory comes back.