Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error recovering from failed backup

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error recovering from failed backup
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 08:50:58 -0500

> Warning: Could not restore file /backups/yyy/xxx/02LaidOut/.DS_Store!
>
> A regular file was indicated by the metadata, but could not be
> constructed from existing increments because last increment had type
> None.  Instead of the actual file's data, an empty length file will be
> created.  This error is probably caused by data loss in the
> rdiff-backup destination directory, or a bug in rdiff-backup
>
> Note that the source directory name is '02 Laid Out' but that the spaces
> have disappeared in the error message (but the spaces do exist on the
> backup:: machine).

What does your metadata file say?  (e.g. zless
mirror_metadata.<date>.snapshot.gz, then search for that file)  If all
the files are still there you could either manually edit your metadata
file or move the directories around so they are in sync.

I don't know how this could have happened in the first place though.