Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up multiple directories

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up multiple directories
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:09:43 -0500

> My question is pretty simple: Can I back up multiple directories
> using rdiff-backup (if so, how?) or do I need to write a shell
> script and loop trough a list of directories?

There's no direct way to backup multiple directories with a single
session of rdiff-backup.  You can either run it twice, or backup the
higher directory.  For instance, suppose you want to backup both
/home/alice and /home/bob to /backup.  You could either:

    rdiff-backup --include /home/alice --include /home/bob \
         --exclude ** /home /backup

or mkdir /backup/alice and /backup/bob and then

    rdiff-backup /home/alice /backup/alice
    rdiff-backup /home/bob /backup/bob