Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring Windows file name to OS X

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring Windows file name to OS X
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:21:59 -0700

> Someone in my network accidentally made a Windows "Shortcut" to the
> A: drive on their machine on a network drive, and that file name is
> something like "3 1/2 Floppy (A)" except the "1/2" is some f***ing
> Windows-encoded character. So it gets backed up okay because it gets
> escaped, but when I had to do an emergency full-restore today to
> said network drive, it bombs because the OS doesn't know how to
> write that "1/2" character. The network drive is on a Mac OS X
> Server.
>
> - - -
> Renaming divisions/Connections/rdiff-backup.tmp.8373 to
> divisions/Connections/Shortcut to 3? Floppy (A).lnk
> [snip]
> File "/sw/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line
> 226, in rename
>     else: rp_source.conn.os.rename(rp_source.path, rp_dest.path)
>     OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

So the source directory, as well as the directory you are restoring
to, is on windows (NTFS)?  And the destination directory (where things
are backed up to) is a Mac OS X filesystem (UFS?)?

If the source filesystem is the same as the filesystem you're
restoring to, why can't whatever characters are in that shortcut be
created on that filesystem, just as they were created originally?