Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Millions of files

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Millions of files
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 21:19:30 -0700

> A new backup setup I'm working on isn't completely finished yet. But one
> backup job with >13mill files (totalling 233GB, lasting 45 hours) ran
> fine. Nice.
>
> 233GB in 45 hours is around 1½ MB/sec if I'm calculating right. I'm not
> sure if I'm satisfied with that. Both harddisks and modern LAN-networks
> should (in principle) be able to sustain higher throughput.(?)
>
> I'm thinking:
>  - Could SSH's crypto work be significant, or is it really peanuts
>    for today's fast CPUs?
>  - Is rdiff-backup performing calculations where Python's
>    slowness could be a problem?

I doubt SSH is the bottleneck, presumably it can do a lot more than
1.5M/s.  I'd guess the bottleneck is the large number of files and the
CPU and HD overhead rdiff-backup has on each (statting, writing them,
fsyncing, etc.).  So I think Python's slowness/my programming could be
a problem (especially if you're using 0.13.x, which hasn't been
optimized yet).

But these are just guesses.  I haven't seen firsthand any setup
similar to yours.