Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Write-once read-many problem

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Write-once read-many problem
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:30:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> If we're not root on the server during a restore operation, we try to
> change permissions to ensure readability?  Either we can read an object
> or we can't.  If we can't, it's _highly_ unlikely that we'll be able to
> change permissions on it anyway.

only root can read mode 0 files ... this code exists so that if you're
non-root you can backup and restore mode 0 files which you own... but it
is kind of unfortunate, isn't it?

> So I'll just carry this patch on my central server (it's not required on
> restore clients), and we can all pretend this didn't happen until the
> next person tries to use rdiff-backup to restore from a read-only
> location. :-)

i'm tempted to change it so that a command line option is required to
enable the mode futzing... by default i'd really prefer backup and restore
sources be completely read-only.

-dean