Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Temporary Files

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Temporary Files
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:18:59 -0700

> I'm using rdiff-backup for an automatic backup for multiple
> Servers. It works fine, but I would like rdiff-backup to use a
> special temporary folder, because the system of my backupserver is
> on a 5GB HD and the data is stored in an attached raid5. The Problem
> appears, when I try to backup a file bigger than 5GB: rdiff-backup
> dies with the error "No more space on device", because the system
> disk is to small. I would like to tell rdiff-backup to store it's
> temporary data in a different directory which would be in the raid,
> so there wouldn't be any space problems. Any hints?

Hmm there's no easy answer for this because rdiff-backup basically
needs 2 copies of any file to be on the same disk.  The reason
rdiff-backup needs 2 copies is so it can run the rsync algorithm to
produce a diff from the new to the old.  The reason it puts both in
the same directory is so it can simply delete the old copy and move
the new one into place.

It's possible in theory to put the temp file on a different disk, but
this would be slower, and also there would be no atomicity moving the
new file into place (this is important in case of failure).