[rdiff-backup-users] CRC checksum and other "minor" errors

From: Paul Smith
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] CRC checksum and other "minor" errors
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:26:50 -0600

I'm frustrated with the fact that rdiff-backup will halt when it hits a CRC checksum error, most often due to a source file changing during its backup. This is not uncommon with certain large files on our system. Since I'm backing up large volumes, I'd rather the backup continue past this and other "minor" errors (i.e., errors related to a single file) so that as much of the volume is backed-up as possible. As it is now, the whole thing aborts, even if it's only a fraction of the way through. I'm not sure what the "right" solution is here. Maybe each file that fails is pushed into a stack that is reported at the end, and I can decide how to handle them later. Maybe a flag can be set to ignore checksum errors specifically. At a minimum, I'd like a command-line option to not halt on (at least) checksum errors.

-Paul

--
Paul Smith            Center for Neighborhood Technology
http://www.cnt.org    Chicago, IL