Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Strange Error -> No space left on device

From: Robert Tafner
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Strange Error -> No space left on device
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:27:42 +0100

Keith Edmunds <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:43:35 +0100
> Robert Tafner <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > At first it seemed clear that there is no space on device. The
> > /temp-file became too big. But how is the system able to make a backup
> > of /etc (last line) but not of /pulic (first line). I thought that there
> > is too less space...
>
> rdiff-backup requires temporary space on the system being backed up, and I
> suspect it is that that is running out of space. Once the backup of /public
> has failed, the temporary space is cleared and the backup of /etc succeeds.
> I suspect /etc is smaller than /public.
>
> What does the output of 'df' show on the system being backed up?

The system partition (including /etc) is filled with 100%. The problem is that
this partition has got a size of just 1 GB.
It wasn't set up by me, so I don't know the reason why it is so small...

Should then /tmp be filled with less than 100% if it is cleared during the
backup?

Thanks
--
Robert Tafner