Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Force RSH for rdiff-backup?

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Force RSH for rdiff-backup?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:59:05 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Michael Nguyen wrote:

> I'm looking to speed up my rdiff-backups over the LAN interface in our
> production environment.  How do I force rdiff/rsync to use RSH instead of
> SSH?  The speed difference is significant and the loss of security is pretty
> minimal given that we're only talking to ourselves.

http://arctic.org/~dean/patches/openssh-3.8.1p1-cipher-none.patch

it really annoys me they don't let you shoot yourself if you want to... i
mean even with this patch you have to explicitly enable the None cipher in
sshd_config... (which means that if your host can get non-LAN connections
you really should consider running a none-capable sshd on a different, ip
addr access controlled, port.)

definitely helps on gig-e.

-dean