Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Remove part of backup?

From: Alec Berryman
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Remove part of backup?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:40:49 -0500

begin  quotation of Jens Benecke on 2004-11-25 12:07:42 +0100:

> Yesterday I did a backup to an existing directory manually but forgot to
> exclude a certain directory (which had been excluded so far). Usually the
> backup is done by a cron-script. This manual backup run tripled the backup
> directory size, and now the backup doesn't fit on the backup media any more
> (remote harddisk), i.e. I cannot do any further backups.
>
> Can I somehow remove this directory from the backup directory? I would also
> be happy with rolling everything to the state it was before I did the
> manual backup run (i.e. losing yesterday's backup), then re-running the
> backup.

This has been recently discussed on the list; it is not currently
possible to remove a the results of a single backup run.  One
solution, if you don't mind losing your backup history, is to remove
all backups before the date of the backup you would like to lose.