Re: [rdiff-backup-users] changing backup directory structure

From: Maik Schreiber
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] changing backup directory structure
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:07:40 +0100

Let's say I am backing up directory A and then at some time, t,  I
decided I only want to back up sub-directory A/B and not the rest of A.
If I want to restore a version of directory A/B from before time t, then
I need to hide the 'rdiff-backup-data' directory at A/B so that the
backup is done based on the older 'rdiff-backup-data' in directory A.

Just back up into the directory you've been backing up into before t, but tell rdiff-backup to exclude everything from A but B. This way, there will be no rdiff-backup-data directory in A/B/.

When restoring, the following will happen: When you use --restore-as-of with a time stamp before t, everything will be restored as normal. With a time stamp after t, only B will be restored. rdiff-backup will treat it as if the rest didn't exist when backing up.

Please see the man page, section "File Selection", for more info. (http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup.1.html)

--
Maik Schreiber   *   http://www.blizzy.de

GPG public key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1F11D713
Key fingerprint: CF19 AFCE 6E3D 5443 9599 18B5 5640 1F11 D713