[rdiff-backup-users] chmod and AFS

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] chmod and AFS
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:53:07 -0500

Hi,

We are wanting to use rdiff-backup to accomplish backups to an AFS
volume.  There are two issues:

1) The check for hardlink capability on the target is incomplete.  In
AFS, you can make a hardlink within the same directory only.
Unfortunately, this is all the test checks for, and assumes that
hardlinks are completely supported.  The test should create two
different test directories and attempt to hardlink a file in one
directory into the other directory.  I filed a Debian bug for this, but
decided to also post here for the other concerns.

2) rdiff-backup chmod's the target files/directories to be equivalent to
the source files and directories.  This is ok for most things, but
unfortunately, AFS requires administrator rights to put a setuid/setgid
bit on a file or directory, so rdiff-backup fails when a chmod(... ,
02xxx) is attempted.  This is easy to get around if doing a backup by
hand, but unfortunately will get in the way of automating backups.  Is
it possible to instead store the file/directory permissions into
metadata on the target?

3) Unix sockets cannot be put onto AFS.  Is this a problem, besides
having to re-create the Unix sockets when doing a restore?

Thanks!

--
Ryan Underwood, <address@hidden>