[rdiff-backup-users] ssh timeout error interrupts backup

From: Adam Rosi-Kessel
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] ssh timeout error interrupts backup
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:55:22 -0400

I have a DLink DI-604 router, which times out ssh connections unavoidably
after a certain amount of inactivity.  I suspect, but don't know for
certain, that this is why my rdiff-backup jobs usually don't
complete--I'm trying to mirror a 20G drive (over a standard cable modem
connection with slow uplink, and a slow CPU on the mirror) so I believe
that there are sometimes long periods of inactivity and thus the ssh
connection is dropped.

The error I get is "Connection reset by peer" and then a python
backtrace.

This was discussed over a year ago on this list:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2003-03/msg00119.html

With no real resolution.

Any new ideas about how this problem might be solved?
--
Adam Rosi-Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org