Re: [rdiff-backup-users] include/exclude options

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] include/exclude options
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:48:47 +1000

Duke wrote:

Am I the only one who finds the include/exclude options a little
confusing?

nope. I find it confusing too. Ben (author) is a Professor of Logic however, so you know it makes sense. Just not to us mere mortals :)

What I'd like to do is specify in a file all the directories whose
contents I'd like backed up (and certain sub-directories from that list
which I'd not like backed up.)

this works for me:
the filelist:

#cat /etc/rdiff-backup/filelist

/home/public/MYOB*
- /home/public/software
- /home/public/archive
/mnt/clairenew/
- /bin
- /boot
- /cdrom
- /dev
- /etc
- /floppy
- /home
- /initrd
- /initrd.img
- /lib
- /lost+found
- /mnt
- /opt
- /proc
- /root
- /sbin
- /tmp
- /usr
- /var
- /vmlinuz
- /vmlinuz.old

the command:
/usr/bin/rdiff-backup -v6 --include-globbing-filelist /etc/rdiff-backup/filelist --print-statistics / sponge::/var/backupdisk/premierbeer

hope that helps.
if you find a good way of explaining it all, or some to some new understanding, stick it on the wiki :)

dave