Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 15:39:22 -0700

> In regards to the failures of backups. If the backups
> fail, is there any way to recover, so that crond jobs
> succeed every time, vs me having to monitor if the
> backups succeed everyday?

Yes, in theory the next backup event will see that the previous backup
failed, check the destination for errors and fix them, and then
successfully complete the new backup.

(Although judging from mailing lists posts, this procedure doesn't
always work.)

> If the backups fail, does it error out in bash to 1, so that it
> knows that the backup failed?

Yes, or at least non-zero exit code.

> I wanted to script it so that if it errors out, to remove the
> rdiff-data-backup directory from that directory, and retry the
> backup.  Any one out there run into these types of issues?
>
> Also I have another question, If it errors out and I
> remove the rdiff-backup-directory, I think I would
> have to use the --force option to write into the same
> directory again correct?

Yes.

> If i do this, does rdiff essentially run incrementals against the
> destination directory? Or does it overwrite everything again?

You mean rdiff-backup?  Yes, it shouldn't need to transfer all the
information, and can tell that only some bits need to be changed.