[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup logparser

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup logparser
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:33:50 +1000

I have at best rudimentary bash skills, and need more practice with sed, but that hasn't stopped me cobbling together a logparser for rdiff-backup.

You can get it from here:
http://solutionsfirst.com.au/~dave/backup/

there is a  tar.gz for the brave and a .deb for the debian fans.
it depends on BSD nail, zip, flip and sed.
I know its a real mess, but I am still learning with this bash scripting stuff :) might be a good idea to write it in python and maybe even integrate something like this in rdiff-backup at some point.

check it out and let me know what you think.
basically, you just configure the config file, make sure the script knows where to get the config file, and pass it the output of the backup at -v6 or so. It then produces something that looks like this:
----------------------------
Backup Log file

Your backup finished with this status: Backup OK
Your total backup size was: (15.2 GB)
Total amount of files in repository: 34770
Transferred data totalling: (1.45 MB)

Please find a summary of errors below and a more detailed log file attached as a zipfile. Please remember to contact address@hidden if you have any queries or receive an unusual number of errors.

Summary of Errors:
Total Errors = 4
0 Permission Denied errors were found. Perhaps you left something open?
7 No Such file or Directory Errors - check file system or don't move files during backup.

with the actual log file attached as a zip file.
I normally have a cronjob that does this:

@midnight /usr/local/sbin/backup.sh | /usr/local/bin/parse.sh

and it works ok.
I am refining the process as we go, so its not perfect yet, but it should help someone out there make sense of thebackup logs like I needed :)

let me know if you have any issues/comments
thanks,
dave