Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff creating a patch file, when there are no

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff creating a patch file, when there are no changes to the file
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 17:28:10 -0700 (PDT)

On 26 Mar 2004, Martin Pool <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 26 Mar 2004, Fran Firman <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I end up with a 14 byte patch file, even thou there are no changes
> > between the file... It is the same file.......
>
>     I would have expected rdiff-backup would check the times first or
>     something...

heh i was about to write up a bug report about this too -- i just upgraded
rdiff-backup from 0.11.0 to 0.13.x and while testing i noticed lots of
"useless" increment files.  (somehow i never noticed them before.)

the option i was considering was to have rdiff-backup have some threshold
for small patches below which it tries applying the patch and looks for a
difference, and deletes the patch if it's a NOP.

-dean