Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff creating a patch file, when there are no

From: Fran Firman
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff creating a patch file, when there are no changes to the file
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:59:44 +1200

You are almost correct.... :)

I did some reading of the rdiff method.

It breaks the old file in to chunks, and creates hashs of the chunks.

Then sends the hashs over to the other server.

Then tries to find data in the other file that matchs the hashs. The
hashs don't have to be in the same place.

Then it will provide a patch file.

So something like this.

Old file = abcdefabc

New file = abcdefabc

ie no changes

the patch file might say thou...

use offset 7, length 3 = offset 1 and offset 7
use offset 3, length 3 = offset 3

Even thou the file hasn't changed.

Go figure.

I found all this out, when I started using the file-statics files, to
tell me what had changed for an ids system, but I kept getting messages
that files had changed, when they hadn't. And it was always the same
files too.

So I am adding in extra stuff to my script that takes the list of
possible changes, and does an md5sum of them to see if the files really
have changed, before alarming about them.

F.