Re: [rdiff-backup-users] wanted: Open Source disk to disk backup for Win

From: Matt Wilkie
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] wanted: Open Source disk to disk backup for Windows
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:20:55 -0800

Greg Freemyer said:
I think the only fundamental problem is with ACLs, and that only
with the unstable version.  (ie. The stable version doesn't handle
ACLs at all.)

No, the most fundamental problem is that rdiff-backup on cygwin can't
 restore natively to a windows filesystem.

Would you please elaborate on this? Does this mean that data is
corrupted (the contents of files are changed)? Or (merely) that file
integrity is maintained but metadata like security permissions, owner,
etc. are not? The first is completely unacceptable while the latter could be worked around.

We wrote a web interface to get around it and it works quite well.
Their may be some other way of making rdiff-backup restore on
windows, but I haven't had the time to fix that yet.

Is this case of you know what to do but haven't had the time/interest, or that the solution is not known while you are confident it is there, or that you just don't know yet?

Check for posts from David Kempe.  He has even wrapped an installer
 around rdiff-backup.

http://sol1.net/~dave/backup/

thank you.

btw, given the poster's original requirements - they are pretty damn
steep.
> rdiff-backup on windows is great for windows -> linux backups atm.
> You might be able to make it work for you, but I don't think its what
> your after. In fact I doubt there is an opensource product like it.

Yeah, I know, I asked for the world. One never knows what's available without asking though. I've been pleasantly surprised before. :)

--
matt wilkie
Geographic Information,