Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Estimated time for a 20 GB backup

From: Kevin Spicer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Estimated time for a 20 GB backup
Date: 01 Feb 2004 11:26:47 +0000

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 09:25, Stephen Boulet wrote:
> For the first time, is it faster just to do "cp -a data backup-dir" and then
> run rdiff-backup with the "--force" option?

It rather depends what your bottleneck is.  If its CPU then yes, but in
your case it looks like it might be bandwidth on the USB bus, in which
case no.
I did do this myself, I backup a remote site using rdiff backup (they
also do a tape backup locally).  The remote site has a 512k leased line
back to our office, so transferring the existing 20G of data was down
the link was A Bad Thing.  I got them to send me a recent tape and
restored that to my backup machine, then ran rdiff-backup to sync the
two.  Kinda reminds me of a useful piece of advice I once read, "Never
underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon loaded with tapes".

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.