Re: [rdiff-backup-users] hi all help for newbie

From: Greg Freemyer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] hi all help for newbie
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:37:09 -0500

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 07:06, manu aradhya wrote:
>  hi all iam very new to rdiff-backup   i have huge
> file (databasefile (binary)) which will grow
> regularly. at first i want to take full backup of it,
> then everyday i want to take incremental backups
> (diffs).i tried with rdiff-backup,
>              1) for the first backup, a mirror copy of
> source file will be copied in the backed directory. is
> it the full backup, because everytime this file will
> be overwritten.
>                 If i want to restore do i need to
> start from this  first time backed file, and then do i
> need to restore diffs on the same file.
>
> i am little bit confused pls somebody explain me.
>
> i just need a full backup of the source file for the
> first time (this fullbackup is going to written on to
> cdrw).and everyday a incremental backup (diff).how to
> restore once again ? pls somebody suguest me some
> ideas.
>  -manu

rdiff-backup may not be the best tool for what you describe.

rdiff-backup maintains a full current backup and series of diffs to get
to older versions.  This works great if you are maintaining the whole
rdiff-backup on disk.

Unfortunately, if you want to keep the 'full backup' on CD, then you
will need to burn a new CD everyday, because rdiff-backup does not treat
that as static object.

I believe there is an alternate backup solution that works much like
rdiff-backup, but it keeps the original full-backup and a series of
diffs to move forward in time.  I'm not sure of the projects name
(duplicity?), but it sounds like it would work better for you.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer