[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Backup of a smbmounted partition and ACLs

From: frache
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Backup of a smbmounted partition and ACLs
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:46:57 +0200

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:10:50 +0200 frache <address@hidden> wrote:

> there was some talk about ACLs recently here, but I don't know the result.
>
> if I try to mount a partition with "mount -t smbfs  //windows/C$
> /mnt/source",
> then just backup it with "rdiff-backup /mnt/source /mnt/dest"
> what happens with the ACLs when I restore from '/mnt/dest' to
> '/mnt/source' ?
>
> does version 0.13 solve this case ?
> has anyone a better solution ? (like using rsync/rdiff/ssh on cygwin,
> and make backup between NTFS computers only ?)

rdiff-backup can save and restore ACL information whether or not the
destination supports ACLs.  I only have experience with linux ACLs, so

it seems not to work with smb mounted partition. ACLs are not restored. Probably smbmount doesn't export ACLs.

I have no idea if this will work on other platforms.  When you start
rdiff-backup 0.13.x there is a verbose screen which will say if ACLs
and other features are active on each side.

Ok, I will try this version.

Is the difference only in verbosing informations, or does 1.3 better process ACLs ?

It were fine if we could use rdiff-backup as smbclient, it could then use smbcacls to save/restore ACLs. And maybe use "-uworkgroup\username%password //server1/share1 filename" with smb file server, like "address@hidden:://path/filename" :-)

Another problem may be that rdiff-backup doesn't seem to like certain
NFS setups (or vice-versa).  I don't know about samba.  See

http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/FAQ.html#dir_not_empty

I don't see this problem in my case.

Philippe.