Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up subsets of a filesystem

From: Randall Nortman
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up subsets of a filesystem
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 03:21:12 +0000

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 05:12:54PM -0700, Ben Escoto wrote:
> Excluded files are treated as if they don't exist.  (And a file that
> doesn't exist on the source is deleted from the mirror.)  This is
> convenient for technical reasons, and also because it, in conjunction
> with --remove-older-than, allows for information in the destination
> directory to be deleted to save space.  I updated the man page a bit
> though to make this clearer.
>
> About your problem, you need separate repositories.  Just exclude the
> subsets from the main one.  This shouldn't be much loss of efficiency.

OK, I can see why you would want it this way.  It's a little less
convenient for me, but I suppose it really doesn't hurt to have
separate repositories for each subset, and to exclude the subsets from
the main backup.  It means more steps on a restore, but in theory
those don't ever actually need to happen, right? ;)

Thanks for the info,

Randall Nortman