Re: [rdiff-backup-users] where is --change-source-perms ?

From: Alan
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] where is --change-source-perms ?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:25:01 -0700

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:23:48PM -0700, Ben Escoto wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:36:26 -0700 Alan <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Well, the one directory
> > (/mnt/share/var/backups/ufies.org/home/alan/backups/arcterex.net/arcterex/htdocs/gallery/setup)
> > had the perms of 000 and the cron email I got before I changed it had
> > the following error:
> > OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> > '/mnt/share/var/backups/ufies.org/home/alan/backups/arcterex.net/arcterex/htdocs/gallery/setup/.htaccess'
>
> Are you running root on the source side and non-root on the dest side?
> If so, a fix for that bug in CVS already.  If not, could you give me a
> bit more detail on your setup, as whether source or destination or
> both are remote, and which sides if any are root?

Yes, I am.  I actually have a couple of things going on, which I'll
describe, though if there is a fix in CVS that should get rid of these
problems....

I have two servers, home and away.  Every night home (which has a
webserver on it) backs up the httpd directory (on /dev/sdaX) as
address@hidden to address@hidden  Then later on at night away backs up *back*
to home (a strange situation come about through losing a remote host
that I used to back up to).  So the second set of activities is that
address@hidden backs up a bunch of stuff on away, (including the directory
that the first backup backed up to), to address@hidden (to my RAID5 array
and a separate directory of course).  Not the most elegant situation, but
there is redundancy, and the data will be *somewhere* (high standards
huh? :)

I'll wait for the next release and hopefully that will fix this all up.
Either that or I need a more sane way of doing backups!

alan

--
Alan <address@hidden> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain