Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Can I backup to local AND remote in one operati

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Can I backup to local AND remote in one operation?
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:32:09 -0700

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 12:05:46PM -0500, Dave Kelly wrote:
> OK...one other quick thought...what if I were to run the local rdiff-backup
> to, say /backup on a local machine, and then at some later point every night,
> rsync /backup to a remote server?  Sort of the same purpose, but I guess the
> real question is can I mirror an rdiff backed up directory and still have
> rdiff-backup read it correctly if I need to restore from the mirror?

This will work correctly, _but_, you want to be careful; if the local
machine fails in the middle of the rsync (say, because the hard drive
decides to die, that being the basic danger you're trying to mitigate
by making backups...), the remote rdiff-backup repository may be left
in an inconsistent state.  It's likely that whatever you end up with
could be mostly recovered from with some elbow-grease and mucking
around (just what you want to be doing while trying to restore
critical data, I'm sure...), but you don't get the transactional
properties that rdiff-backup guarantees.

If I were you, I'd do something a little more clever; maybe using
rdiff-backup to copy to the remote system and then rsync'ing the local
copy.  Or if you have the space, make a scratch copy of the remote
repository, rsync of the scratch copy, and only then after the rsync
has completed successfully do you replace the old copy with the
new.

-- Nathaniel

--
Sentience can be such a burden.