Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 1 year of rdiff-backup archives, and some quest

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 1 year of rdiff-backup archives, and some questions
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:45:29 -0700

  JL> My other concern is recovering data from the old archives.  Is
  JL> there a way to keep rdiff-backup 0.10.2 and 0.12.3 both on the
  JL> same machine at the same time?

You can install all the rdiff-backup python files (the stuff usually
in /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rdiff_backup/ or whatever) into
another directory, like foo/rdiff-backup-0.12.3/rdiff_backup (make
sure it ends in rdiff_backup).  Then run the executable script like:

PYTHONPATH=foo/rdiff-backup-0.12.3 rdiff-backup

I don't think the basic 'rdiff-backup' script has changed for a long
time, so you can keep a single copy of that in, say, /usr/bin.

  JL>   0.12.3 seems to work fine at recovering its own backups, but
  JL> has a bit of trouble with some things in 0.10.2.

Hmm, that's not supposed to happen.  I remember you reported a bug
about this, but I thought it was fixed in 0.12.2.  Did you find
another one, or is this just to be safe?