Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: How are moved/renamed files treated?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: How are moved/renamed files treated?
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 14:05:41 -0700

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 04:25:58PM +0200, Jens Benecke wrote:
> I would suggest tracking changed files via MD5 sums. inode numbers are only
> applicable to moved files (not copied ones), and only applicable where the
> file system supports inodes.

But md5 sums change entirely upon any modification to a file.  If a
file were moved and slightly altered, inode tracking could find the
similarities but MD5 sums couldn't.  Then again MD5 sums could find
duplicated files...  Hmm...

I think the vast majority of file systems support inodes.

> Can I use rdiff-backup for this _one_ tar file to not have lots of duplicate
> data on the local backup server? Currently it looks like this (excerpt):

rdiff-backup only works on directories.  (Of course you could put that
file in a directory.)  If you need to deal with single files only,
check out the rdiff executable, which comes with librsync.