Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup in any distributions?

From: Christian Skarby
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup in any distributions?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:06:57 +0200 (CEST)

 Ben Escoto(BE):
 BE> I know rdiff-backup is in Debian, is it in any other distributions?
 BE> Let me know and I'll put it on the web page.

rdiff-backup is in Gentoo Linux - www.gentoo.org -
to install, execute "emerge rdiff-backup" as root.

Currently portage (the Gentoo package system) provides rdiff-backup-0.10.2
in the "stable"-tree, 0.12.0 is in "testing", anyway here is a trick to
install 0.12.2 ;)

----- BEGIN Installation of 0.12.2 using Gentoo -----
cd /usr/portage/net-misc/rdiff-backup ;\
cp rdiff-backup-0.12.0.ebuild rdiff-backup-0.12.2.ebuild ;\
perl -pi -e 's/~x86/x86/' rdiff-backup-0.12.2.ebuild ;\
ebuild rdiff-backup-0.12.2.ebuild digest ;\
emerge rdiff-backup
----- END -----

OBS! Be aware that using this quick trick will leave the installation
instructions for rdiff-backup-0.12.2 in /usr/portage. You might want to
consider copying the ebuild to your local portage-tree, which will not be
overwritten on next emerge sync. If the ebuild, for any reason, is
deleted, it is not the end of the world (ehm, which leads me to the only
"problem" with exactly that, running "emerge -u world" after emerge sync,
will make portage want to downgrade rdiff-backup if the "newest" ebuild is
unavailable.) Anyway using "emerge -uU world" (update and Upgrade-only)
will avoid the problem ;)

Regards,
Christian