Re: [rdiff-backup-users] more strangeness with 0.12.1

From: Dave Steinberg
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] more strangeness with 0.12.1
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:35:09 -0400

> RW> On a solaris system, rdiff-backup builds/installs fine but when
> RW> I run rdiff-backup -V I get:
>
> RW> /usr/local/python/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rdiff_backup/C.so:
> RW> symbol minor: referenced symbol not found
>
> The problem seems to have something to do with extracting device
> numbers.  Right now there is a line:
>
>      int minor_num = (int)(minor(devnums));
>
> which I suppose could be replaced with the way it used to be:
>
>      int minor_num = (int)(devnums & 0xff);
>
> However, since it compiled fine the new way should work.  Perhaps if
> you recompiled python, and then made sure that rdiff-backup gets built
> with the same python that will be running it?

The new way is the preferred way on OpenBSD to do it, to the point where the
original port (that I maintain a private copy of) included a patch the do
exactly the above.  I imagine omitting it wouldn't play nicely on mixed
endian and 32 vs 64 bit machines.  But that¹s just my own fud.  I can always
patch my private copy.

--
Dave Steinberg
http://www.geekisp.com