Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Failing on 11GB file - other large files worki

From: Ty! Boyack
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Failing on 11GB file - other large files working
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:55:18 -0600

Ben Escoto wrote:

>   Ty!> We've been doing nightly backups for a couple of weeks now
>   Ty!> without any problems, and then a user throws another kink at
>   Ty!> us.  I've attached a trace below of the entire backup run, but
>   Ty!> the file it is failing on is an 11GB file, of which about 5GB
>   Ty!> shows up on the backup mirror.
>   Ty!> Any ideas on how to get large files like this (this file will
>   Ty!> have very large block-level differences) to get backed up
>   Ty!> successfully?
>
> Try 0.12.1.  The librsync block size is not set based on the file
> size.  I just tested it successfully two totally random (made using dd
> on /dev/urandom) 12GB files, although this operation still took 4
> hours.

Ben, I'll be glad to try 12.1 - it sounds like a great move to have
the blocksize adjust based on the file size.  However, we weren't
seeing the long times you did - Our failures were occuring after
around 15 minutes.  I don't know what the difference is, but it's just
a little more information for you.  It could be I/O system
differences, I'm running this on a dual Athlon 2000+ with a 14 disk
ide-to-scsi raid, with 512MB cache.  It's possible that the large
cache is really coming into effect here.

I'll try 12.1 today and let you know if it works.

Thanks again,

-Ty!

--
  Ty! Boyack