Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Initial Backup failure

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Initial Backup failure
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:36:06 -0700

  DR> Hey everyone, I'm trying to use rdiff-backup to backup a server
  DR> remotely colocated. I've tried several times, but always
  DR> somewhere in the process, one of the transfers fails and the
  DR> backup is aborted. This of course normally happens after gigs of
  DR> files have already been transfered, so what am I to do. I'm
  DR> currently using version 12.0 and here is a sample of whats
  DR> happening when the error occurs:
  DR> Read from remote host 216.240.137.48: Connection reset by peer
  DR> Exception '[Errno 32] Broken pipe' raised of class
  DR> 'exceptions.IOError': File

If I'm reading the error message correctly, the first line,
"Connection reset by peer" is an ssh error.  Because ssh fails,
rdiff-backup complains about a broken pipe.

rdiff-backup does not try to do networking on its own---it assumes it
has a bidirectional pipe between the server and client.  So the
problem seems to be with ssh.  I don't have any tips for better ssh
connections, but perhaps someone else on the list does.

But if you can't fix it, you could try splitting up the job into
sections that succeed most of the time (and retry the failures).  You
could also look for some utility instead of or inaddition to ssh that
can give you a more reliable pipe.