Re: [rdiff-backup-users] making intermediate destination directories

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] making intermediate destination directories
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:15:11 -0700

  KE> Or are we straying too far from what rdiff-backup is really all
  KE> about? I don't think so: I can see the opportunity to backup
  KE> multiple, untrusted, machines with rdiff-backup, and allow them
  KE> to create the backup tree that they want.

How about:

mkdir -p usr/local
rdiff-backup usr DEST
rm -rf usr

and then the usual event could be:

rdiff-backup REAL_DIR DEST/usr/local/bin

This is kind of a hack, but no change to rdiff-backup is required, the
users don't have to remember any switches, and then can also specify
what permissions they want the directories to have (otherwise how
would they specify the permissions of usr and usr/local?).