Re: [rdiff-backup-users] how can find a file in the backup?

From: Farkas Levente
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] how can find a file in the backup?
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:28:22 +0100

Ben Escoto wrote:
"FL" == Farkas Levente <address@hidden>
wrote the following on Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:40:09 +0100

  FL> hi, we use rdiff-backup 11.4 nad our biggest problem that we
  FL> can't find deleted files directories.  suppose yesterday there
  FL> was a file or directory which was deleted by someone. today I
  FL> have to recover it from the backup. but he can't remember the
  FL> exact name. i.e. "it was one of my mail folder called archive,
  FL> but may be with capital A under some of my mail folder".  so in
  FL> this case howe can I find it? if the current active still not
  FL> contain the directory or the file it's real hard to find it. is
  FL> there any way to get a file list under a given directory?  i.e.
  FL> rdiff-backup -r 2D --list /mnt/backup/dir/ thanks in advance.
  FL> yours.

Well, the file you're after will probably show up with
--list-changed-since if it isn't in the directory.  You can also try
using 'find' on the /mnt/backup/rdiff-backup-data/increments/dir, like

find /mnt/back/rdiff-backup-data/increments/home/foo/Mail -name 'A.*'

you can see it's not too easy although it's an essential part of a backup system. so if I can suggest a further enhancement please extend --list-changed-since to directory or to something useful to find old files and directories.
thanks.