Re: [rdiff-backup-users] version mismatch not identified

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] version mismatch not identified
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:35:47 -0800

  NF> So my first suggestion (while I could not really test-drive it
  NF> yet, but will ASAP) to rdiff-backup is some sort of version
  NF> match when connecting to a server, so that strange errors like
  NF> these no more happen:
  NF> Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing

  NF>     ssh -C 192.168.2.21 rdiff-backup --server

  NF> Remember that, under the default settings, rdiff-backup must be
  NF> installed in the PATH on the remote system.  See the man page
  NF> for more information.

Actually a check like that is already in there:

----------------
def check_connection_version(conn, remote_cmd):
        """Log warning if connection has different version"""
        try: remote_version = conn.Globals.get('version')
        except connection.ConnectionReadError, exception:
                Log.FatalError("""%s

Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing

    %s

Remember that, under the default settings, rdiff-backup must be
installed in the PATH on the remote system.  See the man page for more
information.""" % (exception, remote_cmd))

        if remote_version != Globals.version:
                Log("Warning: Local version %s does not match remote version
%s."
                        % (Globals.version, remote_version), 2)

However rdiff-backup has changed a lot from 0.6.x to 0.10.x, and what
caused your problem was that the client couldn't understand the server
well enough even to check the version.  Hopefully as rdiff-backup gets
older the protocol will change less frequently.  But I'll change the
error message above to mention version mismatch as a possibility.