Re: [rdiff-backup-users] More newby Qs: list of changed files, server-si

From: Bud P . Bruegger
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] More newby Qs: list of changed files, server-side diffs
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:34:12 +0100

Ben,  many thanks for the rapid response.  Some quick followups below..

>   BB> * is it possible to get a list of which files have changed
>   BB> between two versions under a starting directory
>
> Not directly.  You can use 'find' maybe to search for increments that
> have the appropriate date strings in them.  It's a good idea though
> and should be pretty easy to implement---adding to TODO list (of
> course this has no relation to whether I do it).

I probably wip up a quick script that does it (using find as you suggest).  I
looked through the source to see what it takes to implement it as part of
rdiff-backup -- but it seems to take some effort of learning how to move...

BTW, I'm asking some of these questions since I may write a web frontend for
easy restoring of files..

>   BB> * and the third of the two questions:-) Is there a way of adding
>   BB> some description to a version that could be queried with -l (or
>   BB> similar option)?  This is similar to what revision control
>   BB> systems would do.
>
> No.  If you'd like you can add extra notes in the increments directory
> and keep track of them yourself, but there is no rdiff-backup support.

I have to check with my users, but if they want it, I may contribute

* a smally option that lets users add a short commment that is written in a
  file inside increments and
* another option that goes with -l to list that comment with versions.

Seems easy off hand--hope that doesn't change when going more deeply..

>   BB> * what time format is used in -l --parsable-output?
>   BB> is this seconds since (Unix/Python) epoch?
>   BB> Maybe this could be clarified in the man page?
>
> Yes, seconds since epoch.  Now clarified in man page.

ok, so that is OS dependent but works if I read it in as python time on the
same platform...

again many thanks

--bud