Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Overflow Error??

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Overflow Error??
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:58:32 -0800

  OGW> Well, I finally had a chance to take a look at this a bit more
  OGW> closely. Turns out I'm not getting anything on the server side
  OGW> as far as traceback or any kind of output at all.  Python is
  OGW> crashing soon after the connection is made with a segmentation
  OGW> fault.

  OGW> Any idea why this would happen consistently only when
  OGW> maintaining a backup(?) -- the initial backup always works
  OGW> fine.

Sorry for the late reply (some weeks I spend more time on this than
others..).  I looked briefly at the message a little while ago and
couldn't think of anything.  Unfortunately, now that I have thought a
little more about it I still can't think of anything. :-( If this were
my system, I would try first making a local backup on each side:

md temp
cat /dev/null > temp/file
rdiff-backup temp out
touch temp/file
rdiff-backup temp out

and then try using the remote code, by having rdiff-backup communicate
with itself over a local pipe.

touch temp/file
rdiff-backup --remote-schema '%s' temp 'rdiff-backup --server'::out

and then this, to test whether ssh may be causing problems:

touch temp/file
rdiff-backup temp localhost::out

If something here fails, at least you know which system it is a
problem on (probably the Sparc/BSD one).  If everything worked until
now, I would try backing up temp (or some other small directory), to
see if it is just a problem with larger data sets.

    I don't really see how this could be a bug in Python since
updating a backup doesn't really use any different python code.  The
librsync stuff is only used when updating, so maybe the problem is
there.

    Anyway, I don't expect you as a user to do all this, but this is
the only thing I can think of.  There is actually a pretty sizeable
test set, but right now it's hard for users to use since it assumes
files are where they are on my system.  I should probably fix up the
tests someday so other people can run them easily..