Re: [RP] linux distro for ratpoison/minimalist config on laptop?

From: Daniel Maturana
Subject: Re: [RP] linux distro for ratpoison/minimalist config on laptop?
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 22:19:09 -0400

I used to be wary of the kind of 'crud' I would get with most
mainstream distros, and thus used Gentoo to keep a custom,
minimalistic set of software. Eventually Gentoo sort of imploded and I
decided to switch distribution. After trying out some alternatives
like slackware and debian I eventually settled on Ubuntu. Yeah, it has
Gnome and a bunch of extra stuff I didn't use, and I didn't get to
(easily) compile my customized kernel to keep it lean and mean. But at
that point in time, my laptop had enough computational resources that
I decided it didn't really matter. I just installed RP and set it as a
default in gdm and that's it. I could try to get rid of Gnome, but at
most I'd save a couple of GB that I don't really need.
best
Daniel