Re: [RP] ... --solved (with my workspace scripts) -Phuk!

From: TBlittlefoot
Subject: Re: [RP] ... --solved (with my workspace scripts) -Phuk!
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:15:19 -0800

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 04:19:49PM -0500, Mark Eichin wrote:

> > Another option is to run a fake or proxy X server that's acting as a
> > firewall--screening, filtering and forwarding packets between clients
> > and the real X server. This requires duplicating the server-side X11
>
> Take a look at xmove, it has pretty much the same "moving parts"
> you're talking about.

I will certainly take a look at it, though the odds of me understanding
what I am seeing are slim to none.

I hope Kipling will try it and write a review here.

> (The whole problem is made trickier because of the major performance
> hack that X is built around - most requests have *no* response
> packets, the client just predicts the answer and assumes it, the
> server responds with (asynchronous) errors if it won't have been
> correct.  So while you can avoid performing operations, you can't
> actually "lie" to the client, because it isn't listening to you :-)

That explains some of the strange messages from the X server I see
on the tty where it was booted from as I am shutting down the system.
It's odd to see word "guess" (or a synomym, I can't remember exactly) from
a computer program.

"Hack" is right.

Thanks,

Tom