Re: [RP] changing default behaviour of "Shift-s"

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: [RP] changing default behaviour of "Shift-s"
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 21:29:38 +0530

> On 8/8/07, Shawn Betts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi arnuld,
>
> bind p exec
>
> put that in your .ratpoisonrc file.

done

> I think you misundestand what's going on. ratpoison uses frames
>  to divide the screen into areas, like a paned window (the
> physical kind). So windows aren't split, frames are. when you use
> next/prev to cycle through windows you're telling ratpoison which
> one to display in the current frame.
>
> So, in a long winded way I'm saying I don't understand what you mean.

Shawn, i ti will be easy to understand if you have ever used
GNOME/Xfce or Fvwm. i am the talking of the concept of "workspace" (a
Desktop-metaphor). i can open 2 windows on 1 workspace while 3 or 2nd
workspace. now if i split the 2 windows on workspace 1 then it affects
only workspace 1, the 3 windows at workspace 2 remain unaffected of
this split.  that is what exactly i want.

Now, as you told me, ratpoison uses frames to to divide screen into
panes, so when  i open 2 windows they are on the same screen and when
i split the frame into 2, the other appears in the splitted-frame.
right ?

so i ask, is there any way to make more screens ? like i do not want
frames on 2nd screen to be splitted but 1st screen can have
horizontally-splitted frames and 3rd screen can have
vertically-splitted frames.

got my point, (i assume, "screen in ratpoison = workspace in GNOME",)

(NOTE:  Desktop-Workspaces can not split windows horizontally or
vertically into 2 :-) they just minimize & maximize windows and that's
it.  i just used that phenomenon to make you understand what i want
;-)

--
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/