Re: [RP] Give input from ratpoison input window to script

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] Give input from ratpoison input window to script
Date: Wed Jan 1 19:55:14 2003

Simon White <address@hidden> writes:

> 31-Dec-02 at 16:16, Shawn Betts (address@hidden) wrote :
> > Simon White <address@hidden> writes:
> > > p.s. If you don't have phoenix0.5 yet, get it. It finally allows you to
> > > middle click-paste a URL into the window to open the page (this didn't
> > > work with previous phoenix versions) which is a key feature for browsers
> > > under Linux IMHO, especially since there's no Windoze equivalent.
> >
> > Let's just keep the chatter about middle clicking and other click-n-drool
> > to minimum, here. This is a rat free zone, remember? :)
>
> Well, a real ratfree purist could always map a key to the middleclick
> function in their brower, but really for browsing, the rat is useful.
> Same as Gimp work and stuff.

So, really this feature has nothing to do with the mouse. It's a
function that you can bind any kind of user input event to. That
doesn't sound so special! :)

I don't doubt the rat is useful. But so are cars, cell phones, TVs,
and Windows 95. But it doesn't mean we're going go out and *using* them,
just because they *have* a use!

> Of course most places where rats can be avoided, they are. But if you
> are really masochistic enough to tab through to links on a page then
> fair enough, you win the truly ratfree award.

Well no one is going to tab through the links. That's just
*stupid*. Why not use a browser with some decent keyboard
functionality like w3m-el or phoenix (to a lesser degree)?

Doesn't phoenix have an interactive search so you don't have to
point-and-click, instead you look-and-type? Isn't that *why* one would
use phoenix??

Shawn